Even if you’re not a mantras and sayings kind of person, having a few poignant vegan quotes to call on when you’re feeling lost can be a valuable tool.
Have you ever looked at a quote and felt it resonate deep within your soul? You probably didn’t like the font it was written in, or the stock image it was layered on top of, but the meaning? The meaning hit home, didn’t it?
It’s happened to us too. Here are some of our favourite vegan quotes for when you just need a little boost.
When you’re thinking of going vegan
- “It takes nothing away from a human to be kind to an animal.” — Joaquin Phoenix
- “Could you look an animal in the eyes and say to it: ‘My appetite is more important than your suffering’?” — Moby
- “Anyone who cares about the earth — really cares — must stop eating animals.” — Linda McCartney
- “Humans are a part of nature not apart from nature.” — Marc Bekoff
- “Animals are not here for us to do as we please with. We are not their superiors. We are their equals. We are their family. Be kind to them.” — Ricky Gervais
When you’re tempted by old habits
- “It almost seems to me that man was not born to be a carnivore.” — Albert Einstein
- “Now I can look at you in peace; I don’t eat you anymore.” — Franz Kafka
- “Being vegan helped me realise I can say and do what I believe is right. That’s powerful.” — Alicia Silverstone
- “The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them but to be indifferent to them: that’s the essence of humanity.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “It’s not a requirement to eat animals, we just chose to do it, so it becomes a moral choice and one that is having a huge impact on the planet, using up resources and destroying the biosphere.” — James Cameron
When you’re faced with stupidity
- “If slaughterhouses had glass walls we would all be vegetarian.” — Paul McCartney
- “People eat meat and think they will become as strong as an ox, forgetting that the ox eats grass.” — Pino Caruso
- “Why do we find it so horrible to kill a baby? It’s because they are voiceless and defenceless. The same applies to animals. Killing them is cowardice.” — Edward Sanchez
- “To you, it is just a meal. To them, it is existence itself.” — Unknown
- “If vegans went vegan to feel superior and special, we wouldn’t encourage everyone else to do it. Which is it? Are we preaching and pressuring or doing it for our own egos?” — Unknown
When you need reminding that you’re making a difference
- “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” — Mahatma Gandhi
- “Three times a day I remind myself that I value life and do not want to cause pain or to kill other living beings. That is why I eat the way I do.” — Natalie Portman
- “If you think eating meat is just a personal choice, you’re forgetting someone.” — Unknown
- “Veganism is not “a sacrifice.” It is a joy.” — Gary L Francione
- “He who injures living beings is not noble. He is called noble because he is gentle and kind towards all living beings.” — Buddha
If you’re thinking of transitioning, already plant-based or celebrating a long veganniversary, thank you. You’re making the world a better place and inspiring many more beautiful vegan quotes.