With only six ingredients and very little active time, these vegan stuffed aubergines are perfect to cook on nights when you’re exhausted.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
2 large aubergines
350ml tomato purée
2 cloves of garlic
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/355°F.
- Cut the aubergines in half and scoop out the flesh inside – set aside.
- Cook the aubergines in the oven until tender and slightly browned, around 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil 200ml of water and dice the onions and garlic.
- Sautée the onions, garlic, aubergine flesh and tempeh until all of them have browned. Remove the aubergine from the oven.
- Pour the boiled water over the couscous and cover. Fluff with a fork when it is cooked.
- Add tomato purée to the tempeh mix and then fill the aubergines with it.
- Sprinkle over some nutritional yeast (if using) and put the aubergines back in the oven for five minutes.
- Serve hot with a handful of basil for extra flavour.
This is another one of my favourite vegan twists on a Mediterranean classic. If you have the time, I suggest making your own red sauce from scratch, which can only be done with plump and fresh Italian-sourced tomatoes.