Up your brunch game with these fluffy vegan beetroot pancakes, a healthier and equally delicious alternative to the breakfast favourite.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
1 medium beetroot, pre-boiled
180g oat flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp egg replacer
2 tbsp water
150ml unsweetened plant-based milk
1 tbsp olive oil (or coconut oil/vegan butter)
- First, prepare your egg replacer. In a small bowl, place your powder and pour over the water, whisk until combined. Leave this to rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop your beetroot into little cubes. I usually go for the supermarket vacuum-packed beetroot, which comes pre-boiled to save time.
- Put your beetroot in a tall beaker, and pour in your plant-based milk. Use a hand processor to blend the two together. Process the elements until you obtain a dark pink purée.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour and baking powder, and mix.
- Start heating up a small pan for cooking your pancakes, add your oil to the centre of the pan and keep on a low heat.
- Once your egg replacer is ready, mix this in with your beetroot purée.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry, and whisk until the two are combined, and there are no lumps.
- Place one ladle of the mixture into the pan, and flip when holes appear on the upper face. Remove from the pan once cooked and repeat this until all the mixture is finished.
- Serve with fresh fruit and icing sugar, peanut butter and jam, chocolate spread and desiccated coconut, or whatever you usually have.
Brunch has come back in fashion. As we endure another lockdown, what better way to spend a Sunday than munching on a pile of home-cooked pancakes? Even better, what if those pancakes were not only as fluffy and fulfilling as regular ones, but they were healthier for your body and healthier for the planet?
This staple is beautiful to look at, and will wow your loved ones (especially if you can shape it into a heart). It also boasts all the rich nutrients of beetroot, including fibre and iron — which we especially need at this time of the year. A generous dollop of peanut butter on these beetroot pancakes is my go-to topping. The nuttiness from the peanuts complements the earthy beetroot: an unusual match made in heaven.